Image Map

Friday, September 28, 2012

Hershey Kiss Pumpkin Spice Stuffed FAT WITCH Brownies



It’s funny how the older my children get the more lessons that I learn from them.  Isn’t it supposed to be the other way around?  Aren’t I supposed to be the one TEACHING the lessons, not learning them?

The other night, for example, my oldest needed me to print something for him off the computer because he was having some “issues” with it.  Sure I said.  He brought me the computer; I started it up, opened the document and hit print.  Easy peasy!

I waited….and waited…and waited. Nothing printed.  Hmmm…I checked the printer over and it said that it was “queing” to print.  I looked at the computer and it said it was printing.

Ok…someone’s lying I thought to myself.  So I cancelled the print job on the computer and re-did the whole process again.  A big fat NOTHING came out of my printer.

By now I’m more than a little annoyed and my son keeps asking me where his papers are.

I say something about me not being the printer fairy and go back to cancelling and printing again.

This goes on for an hour people.  A WHOLE FREAKING HOUR!

My patience level is at a negative ten at this point and sinking fast. 

My oldest asks if I’ve made any progress…

Are you freaking kidding me???  “Are you holding your papers in your hands”, I snap.

My youngest walks over to his big brother and casually says in his ear in a low whisper…

“Its mom’s special time of the month cut her some slack Bro.”

I whip my head up from the computer and glare at both of them…

I must’ve looked like Linda Blair from the Exorcist when I did this as they both took a step back, eyes wide with fear.

Oldest to the youngest, “crap, now you’ve made it mad”.

Now in my heightened since of irritancy specifically due to it being that “special time of the month” as my sweet baby boy referred to it as, and my total annoyance with the computer, all I took away from that sentence was the words “IT” and crap.

First of all, the word “crap” is not allowed to come out of my son’s mouth especially if it is directed towards me and I am definitely not to be referred to as an “it”.

A whole slew of words ensued from there…something about me not being their personal secretary…me not appreciating being referred to as “it”…how they never appreciate anything I do…

I’m sure anyone with children can relate to the above scenario.

Where’s the lesson in all this you ask?

Well, when I finally finished my little tirade of words and calmed myself down my oldest son walks over to me and gives me a hug and says…

“Mom, I do appreciate you very much.  I was having the same problem with the computer so I understand your frustration.  The thing is though; I believe you misunderstood what I said.  What do you think I said by the way”?

I was still a bit on the defensive at this stage though I was softening up but instead of telling him what I heard I asked him to repeat it to me.

Again, he took a step back and said “snap, now you’ve made me feel bad". You see, I didn’t realize that you’re day was already stressful when I asked you to print that.  I felt bad”.

(cricket, cricket)

Lots of words were exchanged…all heartfelt.  And in the end he says to me, “Mom, you’ve taught me better than that.  I would never say something like that to you.” 

Moral of this story…always look to the good in people.  If you think you heard something that you know wouldn’t come out of someones mouth, ask for clarification.  Don’t just assume things. 

I mean, we all know what happens when we make assumptions right?

And because my foot didn't taste good in my mouth, I made these brownies!

They taste soooo much better!

Have you learned any good lessons from your kids lately?  If so, I'd love to hear them!



Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses Stuffed Fat Witch Brownies

by Angi McCarthy (adapted from Fat Witch Brownies)

Ingredients (12 Fat Brownies)
  • 1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons Dark Chocolate Chips - I used Ghirardelli
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unbleached flour - I used King Arthur White Wheat
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 bag Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses (opened)
Instructions
BAKING DIRECTIONS
Grease a 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan with butter. Dust with flour and tap out the excess, or line with foil or parchment that you have sprayed with release spray. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.

Cream the sugar, eggs, and vanilla together. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and mix until well blended.

Measure the flour and salt and then sift together directly into the chocolate mixture. Mix the batter gently until well combined and no trace of the dry ingredients remains.

Spread 1/2 the batter evenly in the prepared baking pan, layer on Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses and spread remaining batter over kisses.

Bake 33 to 38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter on it.

Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 1 hour. Cut just before serving.
Powered by Recipage

5 comments:

  1. Tonight I learned that, even if I do not want to go to a school event, she will not be bribed with ice cream and a movie. Who knew? ;) These are amazing brownies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angi, I'm so sorry, but I can't stop laughing at the thought of your son saying, "Crap, you've made it mad!" I suspect it's something my husband thinks in my direction now and again. ;) I'm so glad that's not what your son said - what an incredibly sensitive young man, to talk through the issue and resolve it with you. That's better than most "adults" can manage, I think!

    The brownies sound deliiiicious. I'm addicted to the pumpkin spice Hershey's kisses.

    Stopping by from Chic on a Shoestring's Flaunt-it Frday. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love notes...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...