Image Map

Monday, March 26, 2012

Bake Me Happy...Chocolate Cupcakes withToasted Marshmellow Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting



Lately all that I have been wanting in life is chocolate and peanut butter.
And I’m not just talking Reeses peanut butter cups.
That would be too easy.
I’m talking sandwiches…big, thick slathers of peanut butter and Nutella.  The kind that leaves the leftovers behind in the corners of your mouth for you to snack on later.
I’m talking about my ice cream…taking vanilla ice cream and mixing in swirls of Peter Pan Honey Roasted  peanut butter and chunks of chocolate pieces….sometimes I even throw some pretzels into the mix for a little salty goodness.
The other day I ate half a bag of pretzels dipping them into some peanut butter and then Nutella.
It’s a strange addiction I have lately.  I’m not sure how it all started.  I just know that one day I was eating a Reeses and the next thing I know I’m trying to conjure up different ways to get my peanut butter and chocolate fix WITHOUT having to go to the store to buy another bag of Reeses.
It’s not helping my waistline nor the size of my butt…I CAN say that for sure!
Today while I was working on finishing up my moms cabinet (you can read about that here) the craving struck again!
Actually, I’m starting to think this new craving has something to do with stress.  It seems that every time I crave it…something is not going right in my world.
Hmmm….
Any who, I remembered that I had frozen some of the cupcakes from when I made these.
And they were not frosted!
Oh the possibilities!
While I am not the first person to come up with this idea, it is the first time that I tried them for myself.
And I must say…OH. FREAKING. YUM!
So I give to you, my version of the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake WITH Toasted Marshmellows.
Drum roll please...



And yes, it is okay to lick the screen ;)  I'll pretend I didn't see it!

Chocolate Cupcakes with Toasted Marshmellow Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
by Angi McCarthy





Ingredients (24 cupcakes)
Chocolate Cake
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup strong black coffee (I used Starbucks Cafe Verona Roast)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup EV Olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Toasted Marshmellow Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
  • 3 sticks salted butter softened (but not melted!)
  • 2 lbs confectioners (powdered) sugar
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 4 jumbo marshmellows toasted and pureed in food processor
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
Instructions
Chocolate Cupcakes
Heat oven to 350°F.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa(s), baking soda, baking powder.
Mix on low until dry ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oils and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about two minutes; the batter will be thin.
Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
Bake cupcakes in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely before frosting.

Toasted Marshmellow Buttercream Frosting
Cream butter, peanut butter and toasted marshmellow puree for a few minutes in a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Turn off the mixer.
Sift 2 lbs powdered sugar into the mixing bowl.
Turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the dry ingredients do not blow everywhere) until the sugar is absorbed by the butter.
Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract cream and beat for about 3 minutes.
If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add a little more powdered sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add additional cream 1 tablespoon at a time.
Pipe on your cupcakes and enjoy!
Powered by Recipage


You may find this post partying in the following places:







12 comments:

  1. Love. Want. Need. Pretty much sums it up! I hope your stress goes away soon...stress sucks. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stress sucks B.A.D!

      You take care too lady!

      *Hugs*

      Delete
  2. These cupcakes look amazing - your frosting is really stunning! I've got some chocolate cupcakes sitting in the freezer, too! I may HAVE to give this frosting a try. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you love peanut butter, chocolated and marshmellows you TOTALLY have to make this frosting! I promise it won't dissappoint you.

      Take care and thanks for pinning this :)

      Delete
  3. omg this looks SO DELICIOUS!!!! It's the perfect combo of all of the things I love to eat : )


    http://craftingforbliss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um.YUM! I'd love for you to share at Sweet & Simple Sunday!!

    http://cupsbykim.blogspot.com/2012/03/sweet-simple-sunday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look and sound so yummy!
    I also wanted to let you know that I'm passing along the Liebster Blog award to you. There's some info about it on my post
    http://djssugarshack.com/wordpress1/liebster-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this recipe, I am going to try this frosting, and YES my almost 2 year old daughter did lick the screen, that is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hilarious! Hope you love the frosting as much as we did!

      Delete
  7. What a great idea - incorporating roasted marshmallows in your icing! I love it. Would you be interested in doing a recipe exchange? Let me know what you think - savannahmcqueen@ymail.com I certainly see plenty on your site that I would like to create. -Savannah www.hammocktracks.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, this looks so good. I love chocolate and peanut butter and the frosting sounds so good too!! I would love if you would share this and any other posts at Showcase Your Talent Thursday http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/04/showcase-your-talent-thursday-2.html. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy to share this on your blog! Thank you for the invite :)

      Delete

Love notes...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...