Image Map

Friday, December 16, 2011

Lets get crafty...

This year for Christmas I we decided that all gifts given would be of the homemade persuasion.  We were only allowed to use items that we had on hand.  Period...no ifs, ands or buts!!  Mama was SERIOUS!  Do you know how creative one has to be when coming up with things to make for people out of ONLY things that we have in our possession WITHOUT spending any money?  Seriously people...this was crazy...like crazy-town kinda crazy!  There was some running around...some digging through old boxes...the attic got involved...some hairs got pulled out...a few bottles of wine disappeared...some things even crawled out from under beds to get all caught up in the excitement. 

In the end, I realized that I needed to enlist some help.  The first project on my list was for my youngest nieces.  They wear these cutesy little hair ribbons all the time.  You know the ones.  They look like all different colored corkscrews and are attached to little hair clips or barrettes.  SO CUTE!  I tried putting them in my own hair a time or two but I just got strange looks...stares even.  Apparently it is not "cute" when a thirty-something year old wears hair bows.  Who knew? 

Anyway...back to the project.  Since they have so many hair ribbons, I decided they needed some place equally as cute as they are to display them on.  I'm such and Awesome Aunt aren't I?  I had practically everything I needed...I only lacked a "few" items...fabric...batting...ribbon...I know what your thinking...what did I have, right?  Don't judge me!  I had the frame, wood, paint, staples and hot glue sticks, wait, scratch that, I had to snag some of those from my mom too.  Well, at least I HAD the idea!  Gosh people...don't be so judgemental :)   Besides, I wanted it to match their bedroom!  So after I appropriated the items that I needed...the project was off and running! 

(Disclaimer:  Please excuse the bad lighting in the following photos as the light dissappears from my world around 4:30 these days and most of my projects happen well after that time).


Isn't it cute!  It doesn't have to be used for hair ribbons....it can be used to put notes or pictures on.  Anything really!  I wish I had some hair ribbons to put on it to show case my AWESOME idea...but since I was laughed at for wearing mine, I have since gotten rid of them :)

So how did I do it you ask?  Well, let me just show you!  I had the frame.  I found some fire engine red spray paint from (I don't know what project).  I primed the frame in Krylon Primer Gray spray paint. Only one coat was needed...then I lightly sprayed on about 3 coats of the red...then I,


So totally EASY!  Anyone can do this!  From start to finish this project took all of about an hour!  I say that is pretty dad-gum awesome myself! 

What do you think?  Think my nieces will love it as much as I do?

1 comment:

  1. This is too cute! Thank you for sharing. I am your newest follower and I look forward to reading more of your posts! I would appreciate it if you took a moment to stop over at my blog and followed me back. Thank you! http://milliemorganmedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Love notes...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...